Tuesday, November 27, 2007

good day to blog

My friend Ivan who also happens to be a famous youtube pianist (under alias "honouredman") has just posted his latest masterpiece: an interpretation of Rihanna's Umbrella



I'd just say wow, it's one of the best one I've heard. Umbrella is a very popular song and I like it because it's so unashamedly cheesy, it's good. I've heard many interpretations of it and I don't like many of them, especially the acoustic ones like Mandy Moore's or Jamie Digby's because they become serious, they totally miss the point (you cannot sing the "Ella, Ella, Ella" part to a serious effect). For a good interpretation, search in youtube for Gerard Way/ My Chemical Romance short performance of the song in youtube. Anyway, yeah, I was surprised that Ivan pulled it off beautifully, making the song sad and melancholic. Perhaps it helps that it was a piano rendition without lyrics, but it's a successful piece nonetheless.

Lastly, I was referred to this video by Liam, who said it makes him ashamed to be singaporean:



WOW. OMG. I'm speechless. I totally understand Liam's feelings. Normally, I would say something here about Singapore government. But I think the video speaks for itself.

Btw, it also reminded me of a similar infamous rap video last year: the Hong Kong CPA (ie accountants)rap video:



If you ask me, I think the MDA rap made the the HK CPA one looks like Tupac (and no, MDA is no notorious).

No comments: