Friday, February 2, 2007

Random ramblings: SF Mayor, DS, etc

Yesterday morning, as I was driving to work, I was shocked to hear on the radio about the San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom's affair scandal. Gavin Newsom is a popular (esp for his strong support of gay marriage) and well liked mayor. So to find out that not only did he have an affair, but he was having it with the wife of his best friend and right hand man was very shocking. But when I heard the news, I can't help but recall ... 3 years ago.

Fall 2003. I was still studying in Foothill then. The SF mayoral election was happening at that time and it was a neck to neck race between Democrat Gavin Newsom and Green party candidate Matt Gonzalez. I took a Java Class with a kick-ass Instructor who happened to volunteer for Gonzalez and he would promote Gonzalez and put down Newsom because Gonzalez is supposedly more independent and for the people than Newsom, who seemed more like a career politician. But in the end, Newsom won and everything seemed lost (Arnold got elected as governor around the same time).

and then Newsom turned out not to be a bad mayor after all. He became popular for his homeless program and gay marriage support especially in 2004 when it became a hot issue during the presidential election. He became very popular and even got an Honorable mention in a Best Mayors in america edition of time magazine in 2005 (or 2006, can't remember).

... sorry for reminiscing. But anyway, then came this scandal. It's almost like bill clinton all over again. Except Newsom isn't just shagging anyone, but his own best friend's wife; that's really too much. I don't know what to say on whether he should continue being a mayor. On one hand, what he did is really wrong. On the other, he's really a good mayor. I guess it's up to him. He could take the responsibility and resign. But if he continues to be a mayor, then he better prove it that he's not going to make this kind of mistake ever again. ever.

===

It's so hard to get a Nintendo DS (let alone Wii) these days. They're sold out everywhere. But yesterday, I was so lucky to stumble upon Best Buy's website because they happened to have it in stock. I immediately ordered a white DS... yay, I finally get it. Elite Beat Agents and Hotel Dusk, here I come.

I also just received my DVDs of asian Movies: Johnnie To's Election 2 and Exiled and Shunji Iwai's Love Letter. I have not watched a Johnnie To's movie for almost a year now and I'm really excited.

===

This is old news but Beckham is coming to US to play for LA Galaxy. I don't care what everybody says. Sometime this year, I hope I can come down to LA and watch him play.

Superbowl is on this sunday. I'm gonna watch it. First time watching it ever since I come here.

last movie watched: The Queen. Gonna watch more as part of my oscar run. Reviews coming

3 comments:

puggy wuggy said...

you've gotta be kidding me. getting a hold of a DS lite ain't that hard, seriously. Wii is fuckin hard, I know that. EB Games usually have tons of them, no kidding. I just bought one for a friend last November without having to frantically search for it =p. And you should get that game backup thingy my friend bought back home so you don't have to buy them games all the time.

ricpolim said...

Last november was a different story. Supply was still plentiful.

Anonymous said...

kikiiiiiii this is the first time ever i'm in ur blog! hueheuhe not that i dun like to read ur blog, but i don't read other ppl's blog to begin with. bwahahaha anw it's abt ur DSlite. dont u tink ure a little too old for that? so please give it to me instead, i'll switch you wif the dinosaur-tech DS that u gave me for my 17th bdae hwahwawha omg i'm such a bad ass sis