Wednesday, January 24, 2007

2008 US Presidential Election

Warning: Potentially offensive political discussion ahead.

Besides Oscar, there's another popularity contest heating up here. It's the 2008 US Presidential Election - the search for next George W Bush ... or not? Last week, Hillary Clinton finally announced that she's running for president, ending a long speculation. But here's my 2 cents on the current (popular and potential) candidates:

Democrats:

Hillary Clinton - I don't think Hillary is a bad leader ... but she is really too divisive in US, with many people surveyed that she will never vote for her. Sounds corny, but what America needs is a uniter, not a divider - Hillary is certainly a divider. So yeah, I believe democrats is doomed to lose the election if Hillary becomes the party's choice.

Barack Obama - Barack Obama, on the other hand have become a popular figure among the americans for the past few years and I kind of like him too. However, he hasn't even completed his first senate term yet and this election bid seems to be riding on his popularity. I think he's too inexperienced for the presidency right now and he should wait till the time is right. But the recent revelation that he lived and attended public school in indonesia for 4 years actually made me even more like him because he might be sympathetic to indonesia's cause. hehehehe

John Kerry - hasn't announced his intention to run. But just for the sake of it, I will say that I like John Kerry, from what I've read about him during the 2004 election and I think he could make a good president. But the dude is so prone to bad PR even after the election and with the ghost of 2004 election following him, I think he shouldn't take the chance at all.

and my pick is - John Edwards. In 2004, I read about John Edwards when he became John Kerry's running mate and it amazes me that americans do not want to pick this guy. He did not come from any elite family and heck he did not even go to any elite ivy league university. He came from a poor family and his achievements including becoming a senator has been from his own hard work and during his legal career days, he used to represent families and children against big corporation. and because of that I believe he would be the best choice for the american people because he understands what it's like for the regular americans, not the elite ones because he's been like one of them.

Republicans:

Rudy Giuliani - Rudy Giuliani did very well as NYC mayor. achievements include lowering crime rate and managing the aftermath of september 11. However, even if NY is one of the biggest city in the world. Does being a successful mayor in a big city makes him well qualified to run a country, especially the most powerful one? that remains to be seen ...

my choice is: John McCain - for well ... i like him. hehehehe and after what he suffered in 2000 election against George Bush, he deserves his run this time. and he isn't as divisive as Hillary Clinton.

Independents:
dunno, but if Ralph Nader wants to make another run for it, I'd say go ahead. It's his god damn right to do it. The democrats were so wrong about him "stealing" votes from Al Gore in 2000. The Dems have only themselves to blame for losing 2000 and 2004.

Closing disclaimers:
I am aware that when talking about politics, especially when it comes to American Politics, it tends to get readers angry, especially when it comes to making comments/ observations about people. Readers get angry when something negative is said, no matter how trivial, about someone they support. So let me just say upfront that I have done little to no research on this entry and hence all that I wrote shouldn't be taken seriously. this writing was written out of boredom. But i reserve the right to have an opinion and write this. So yeah, if u're angry about this writing, go ahead and flame it, but make sure you realize that u're flaming against something worthless (well, 2 cents worth) and pointless.

No comments: