Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Warning on M Night Shyamalan's The Happening

This friday, M Night Shyamalan's next movie The Happening will open in US. I'm here to warn you to consider not watching it.



Now, I'm a big fan of M Night, every single movie after the sixth sense. But his last movie, The Lady In The Water, was so terrible I named it the worst film I've seen in 2006. But I still have faith in him; so when I heard that he was going to make his next movie, The Green Effect (it's been retitled to The Happening) with a story about nature turning against mankind, I become interested and was hoping that it would be his comeback to goodness.

But I was impatient. Last year, after much searching online, I found the first draft of the script (titled The Green Effect) and read it.

It was bad. It wasn't as terrible as Lady In The Water, but make no mistake, it was bad.

The script has some good parts (which involves wind blowing) that would give M Night some cool and terrifying directing set pieces. but that's about it on the positive. The story is interesting but characters are not. But the worst part was the ending.

Now, I know many people are incensed by the ending of Signs. I happen to be one who don't mind because the movie was solid enough that by the time the ending comes, I didn't even notice the plot hole. Why do I mention Signs? Because for those people who hate Signs, the ending in the script is even more stupid than the Aliens whose weakness is water in Signs. It's really that bad (it explains what "the green effect" is so cornily).

Well, it's only the first draft and the script has been rewritten numerous times for sure during the production. But having seen the trailers for the film so far, I must say that many elements in the first draft have made it into the film. I just hope, for the sake of Shyamalan's career, that the ending doesn't make it.

No comments: