Sunday, April 29, 2007

Best Week Ever

This is the best week ever for me in terms of news.

First news: Ken Kutaragi, the man behind the Sony Playstation has retired.

First of all, let give this man his dues. He brought you Playstation, PS2 and PS3. Playstation has grown into a significant resource of Sony's revenue. Without those systems, there wouldn't be FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tekken, God of War and many other great games.

But having put all that aside, let me just say I have very little respect for this guy. I dislike him a lot. This guy steals idea, overpromises, lie, boast, and ignores reality a lot. His retirement supposedly is like a gesture to acknowledge PS3's failure (honestly, PS3 hasn't really failed yet, there's still a long way to go). But I think the relative 'failure' of PS3 really shows that Karma has finally caught up with Kutaragi. I hope he has time to reflect on all the bad things and mistakes he have made. Who knows he could come out of retirement and make something again.

Btw, 2 years ago, I read an article on Wired about Microsoft's J Allard, the man who made XBox 360. What supposedly motivated him was a potential letter of resignation from Ken Kutaragi. I suppose J has finally got his wish fulfilled now.

Second news, and this is a great one. I got the H-1B visa. Yep, it has been selected and approved, the HR informs me. So looks like I'm gonna be around for another 3 years. But I won't celebrate unless my friends and roomate got it too.

Some not so good news, but doesn't affect me. The Wii will be released in Singapore for (GASP) SGD 649 (about US$ 428). It includes the Wii console and a Sonic and the Secret Rings Game. Wow, what a price. Give me a poke if you'd like me to get a Wii for you. It only cost $250 here. But supply remains low though.

No comments: